Sunday 25 May 2014

Welsh Scones

So, fairly recently I went on holiday to Wales with my parents and the pooch! Whilst being there I decided I wanted to do some baking, I had looked at a recipe book when we had been there and seen that there was such a thing as a 'Welsh Scone'. It seems to me that these are just like your traditional scone however more buttery.

I therefore decided that, as my mum and I are big lovers of the scone, I would try to make my own version of a 'Welsh Scone'


You may now be asking why I have taken a picture of a measuring cup for this blog post. However we took this measure with us to Wales, knowing that we would most likely want to do some baking at some point when we were there. I think this little cup is amazing, it's so useful and I just love it! I don't use it at home as I don't really see the point when I can use scales but it is so handy to have this to take away with us, as fortunately simply being away from home does not stop our family from doing a spot of baking!

Makes: Around 8 Scones

Ingredients:

8oz self raising flour
2oz caster sugar
4oz raisins/sultanas
4oz butter
1 egg
milk

Directions:

  • Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 8
  • Rub the butter and flour together in a bowl using your fingertips. Do this until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
  • Stir in the sugar and dried fruit.
  • Add the egg and enough milk to make a soft dough.
  • Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and flatten until about 1/2-1/4 inch thick.
  • Cut out using round cutters, I used the 2-inch cutter.
  • Place on a tray, covered with baking paper, and brush the tops with a little bit of milk.
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes.
  • Leave to cool and serve with butter, jam and cream.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think about Oven of Secrets!